Monday 18 February 2013

Flook or real?

I decided last night to have a look on Gedmatch at their feature that lets you see who else matches you on a given chromosome in a given area. In this case I chose to look up the segment where the African is located. Two matches showed up so I then ran them through the Gedmatch chromosome painting feature specifically in this location.
Anyone who has read my blog previously will remember that when I did this with my mother's Szekely cousin, they both shared a peak of North Asian, so I thought I'd have a look with these two new matches to see if either of them shared any African in the same place.
The first one didn't. But the second one did! I have emailed the person to see if it is possible that they could have some minority African ancestry but from doing a quick name search it appears their family has roots in the deep south. I really hope they answer my email!

UPDATE: This match got in touch and sure enough they have ancestry from North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Kansas, Kentucky and Alabama to name a few States. I read one source that said one ancestor owned many slaves. The match tells me they have a few unknowns and haven't been able to go back beyond 1798 in most cases and although they are not aware of any black ancestors, they do not rule them out.
Below is a screen shot of the location where they both share a small segment. The segment is small but packed with SNPs (over 2000). West African is shown in turquoise and the shared African appears across most calculators at Gedmatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment